Sunday, November 6, 2011

We're Engaged!!

Yesterday, November 5, 2011, we woke up to the sounds of raindrops falling on our roof.  Douglas kissed me good morning as always, and I had no idea that it wouldn't be just any ordinary day.

We had a relaxing morning, with our usual homemade vanilla bean lattes and snuggling on the couch.  Around lunchtime, Douglas commented that he was feeling restless and wanted to go do something outdoorsy.  I looked at him with a strange look, seeing as how it had been raining all morning- why would he want to go do something outside?  I agreed that getting out of the house would be a good idea, but that maybe we could just go for a drive and look at pretty scenery instead of getting out and walking in it.  He agreed and told me he found a nice park that we could go to that had a pretty drive.  He asked me to bring my camera so we can take pictures, which I thought was strange because usually he hates how much I stop and take pictures. ;)

So we get into the car and begin the drive.  Conversation flowed normally, as we were making small talk about how gorgeous the trees are this time of year, and of course me rattling off ideas for weddings and such (pretty normal for me, I've been talking his ear off about wedding stuff for about 6 months now).  At one point, a song came on the radio: Beyonce's "Single Ladies" and I gently nudged him and he gave me a sweet smile.  I thought nothing of it, but I can only wonder what he was thinking since, unbeknown to me, he had a ring in his pocket!

After a little over an hour of driving we arrive at Silver Falls National Park.  The rain had slowed down to just a sprinkle, so we decided to get out of the car and take a walk.  We began to walk on the path towards the South Falls, and I was taken back as to how gorgeous it was, especially this time of year. 

South Falls

Lovely!


As we began walking down towards the waterfall, Douglas suggested we walk behind the waterfall and then over to a bridge overlooking the fall.  So, we did.

Gorgeous.





We get to the bridge and Douglas is looking around nervously.  I of course made him focus and was able to snap off a couple of pictures.

View from the bridge



I comment that the scenery here is absolutely gorgeous, and he responds with, "Not as gorgeous as you."  He then continues on and describes how much he loves me and the like.  He then made a comment that I'm a wonderful girlfriend, "...but it's time to take it to the next level."

Oh my God.

He unzips his jacket and pulls out a box.  Tears start welling up in my eyes and I can barely see him open it.  He gets down on his right knee and asks, "Will you be my wife?"

The next few minutes are a complete blur to me, and the next thing I know there's this huge rock on my left hand:



We embrace, and the world seems to stop moving.  I pull away and notice tears welling up in his eyes, too (and this from a man who NEVER cries) and we're both smiling like total idiots.  I can't seem to stop shaking with excitement.

My "Oh my gosh what just happened?" face

Douglas is thinking, "Yeah I'm the man"




These very sweet ladies offered to take some pictures of us after I exclaimed, "My boyfriend just proposed!"  Douglas then corrected me, "your fiance".  God, that sounds so good.

They made him get down on one knee again!

The ladies thought it was funny how I kept crying

Beaming like a freakin' idiot.


We walk back to a little cafe and order some hot apple cider, and walk to a dry bench and talk.  And talk, and talk.  He tells me about all the little secrets he's been keeping from me for the past few months and it all starts to make sense to me.  We finally make it back to the car and drive back to Eugene just as the rain starts to fall again. (PERFECT timing!)  We call our family and friends and everyone was incredibly happy for us.  Douglas announces that he made dinner reservations at our favorite restaurant, The Excelsior, so we get ready to celebrate our recent engagement with champagne, good food, lovely music, and of course, each other.

Getting ready for dinner!

Yeah, I'm kind of a show off.


Bling bling, and champagne!

We get home after dinner and Douglas builds us a cozy fire as we snuggle on the couch and admire the rather large rock on my finger.  Everything feels like it is just as it should be, and I wouldn't have it any other way with any other man.  He's perfect.

So it's now been just over 24 hours since he proposed, and I still get butterflies every time he calls me his fiancee.  I am ever so thankful and blessed to have him in my life, for the rest of my life.  We are also so happy that we have such wonderful friends and family to share our excitement with us as we take the next step together.  I hope to keep everyone updated on all the fun adventures we will be having in the next couple of years prior to our wedding! (Yes, I said couple of years... we're looking at getting married in the fall of 2013)

Let the fun begin! :)

<3 J

No comments:

Post a Comment