Monday, July 23, 2012

Wedding Caterer #4- Cravings Catering

After the excitement of caterer #3 wore off {and after several emails to the manager that went unreplied...} Douglas and I decided that we should keep looking at other options for catering.  We came across Cravings Catering from some reviews on WeddingWire and set up a meeting to chat with the owner Colleen and try some food.

The appetizers {which if we booked early would come absolutely free, what a deal!} would be what she called a "Tuscan spread" which would have a table full of cheeses, meats, fruits, veggies, marinated olives, spreads, bread, crackers, etc.  I think that goes perfectly with our wine tasting theme.  We didn't get a chance to try any of it, but that makes sense since I'm pretty sure we'd know what to expect.

The salad course we decided to try was their Signature Salad which had mixed greens, cranberries, walnuts, cheese crumbles, and nectarines.  I wasn't sure how I felt about the nectarines, but we could always substitute for apples or pears instead if we wanted.  The portion size was good and I loved the plates and bowls, which they have on site ready to be delivered for any occasion.


We then tried three different proteins for entrees and needed to decide on two of them for our wedding.  The first that we tried was a chicken marsala with mushroom creme sauce served with veggies and mashed potatoes.
 

As far as chicken goes, this was really tasty!  The chicken was moist and the sauce was flavorful without being too overwhelming.  My future father in law would not approve of the mushrooms, but they had a really nice texture to them and were really tasty.  The mashed potatoes were good and the veggies had a nice texture.  I liked the presentation also- simple and clean but pretty.  We were disappointed Colleen took this plate away from us before we had a chance to finish everything!

The second entree we tried was a steak.  The steak came in two halves with two different toppings.  The one on the top was a butter sauce with some crispy... I don't know, crispy something or another.  The one on the bottom had a pinot noir sauce that had kind of the consistency of bbq sauce but was kind of sweet and smoky and definitely picked up on the wine flavor.  The sides were red/purple potatoes with parmesan {and would also be served with veggies, although not shown here}.


I had a very difficult time deciding which topping on the steak I liked best.  Douglas preferred the wine sauce and I think I would tend to agree with him.  But they were both very good!  The potatoes were as you'd expect but they look nice {the garnish was a nice touch too!}  The steak was cooked medium well which although not my preference, would probably please a greater portion of our guests.  This is also something my father in law probably wouldn't prefer {he likes his cow still moo-ing on the plate}, haha.  The steak was quite tasty and I would be very happy to eat it on my wedding day!

The third entree we tried was NW baked salmon with a lemon herb butter and cucumber drizzle.  It was served with mashed potatoes and veggies.



The presentation was nice but there was something about the sauce that I did not like AT ALL.  Douglas thought it was good but I would have a hard time serving something I personally did not like for out wedding, so we axed the salmon and decided to go with the chicken and the steak.

Colleen was a very pleasant person to chat with and her experience in catering {longer than we've been alive!} made us feel very comfortable.  I know that if we were to book with this catering company that we would get exactly what we expected and that her experiences would make it go very smoothly on the day of.  Plus she has catered many events at Silvan Ridge so she is comfortable with the facilities there.  I would be very happy to book our wedding catering with Cravings and confident that she and her team could pull our dinner service off without a hitch. {Pun totally intended}

I feel like we're finally getting closer to picking a caterer, which will be such a relief!  Stay tuned. :)

<3 J

No comments:

Post a Comment